Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile

FAQ and other information

—How much do programs cost?

Please review the Costs and scholarships page

—How do I pay the annual tuition fees?

Annual tuition fees are paid in 10 equal payments from March to December. Independent of if the student has received a scholarship, the first payment should be paid in full on the corresponding date. The University Cashier’s Office can provide information on payment options.

—Do the graduate programs have online courses?


—Is there an age limit to apply?


—When are courses scheduled?

Courses for the Master and Doctor of Engineering Sciences Programs last an entire semester and are dictated during working hours. Distance education is not an option.

—Do the programs require my full dedication or can I keep my job?

The designed duration of the Engineering Sciences Programs requires full dedication.

—What documents do I need to apply?

The needed documents are detailed in  Requirements and application.

—When are the application deadlines?

Applications to the graduate programs offered by the UC School of Engineering are accepted during two yearly application periods, with deadlines dependent on the starting semester for the graduate program.

  • First semester start (March to July): application deadline, early November of the prior year
  • Second semester start (August to December): application deadline, end of May within the same year

—When does each semester start and finish?

The first semester starts at the beginning of March and ends mid-July. The second semester starts at the beginning of August and ends mid-December.

—Where are classes held?

The San Joaquín Campus of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860 (Metro Line 5, San Joaquín Station), community of Macul, Santiago.

—Should I speak with some professor before applying?

Graduate programs are based on continuous work between a supervising professor and the student in a defined area of specialization. This relationship necessarily requires a certain alignment of interests. Therefore, we highly recommend interested applicants establish contact with a professor working in their research area prior to applying. This does not ensure the admission of all qualified applicants.

—What university degrees or professional certifications are considered equivalent to engineering?

To be considered equivalent, the educational content and level of the degree/professional certification must be equal to a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

—Where can I find information about the available research lines?

The available research lines are detailed under Areas of Specialization.

—Who can provide letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation should be provided by a professional who, through their personal capacity and knowledge of the applicant, is able to objectively complete the points requested in the letter. Professors who form part of the Graduate Committee cannot provide letters of recommendation.

—Where do I go if I want to ask questions in person?

The Office of Graduate Studies is located in the Hernán Briones Building, first floor, San Joaquín Campus, Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860 (Metro Line 5, San Joaquín Station), community of Macul, Santiago.

—Where do I pay the application fee?

Application fees are paid online, per the directions provided in the Requirements and application.

—Where are the course hours published?

Course hours are published here. Select the corresponding semester and “Engineering” as the unit. Graduate courses are numbered 3000 and above. Scheduling for the first semester is published mid-December of the prior year, and scheduling for the second semester is published mid-July.

—Do I need to present an original copy of my degree?

Yes. A notarized copy of the original is also acceptable. All documents granted by institutions outside of Chile should be legalized within the respective country of origin. Legalization procedures will depend on if the respective country adheres to the Hague Apostille Convention.

  • Documents issued by countries adhering to the Hague Apostille Convention. Document verification procedures are stipulated within the cited convention, and, as such, apostilled documents are accepted. More information available here. View members of the Apostille Convention here.
  • Documents issued by countries not adhering to the Hague Apostille Convention. Documents must be legalized per procedures established by the Chilean Consulate in the country of origin. After legalization and translation, if required, documents must be authorized by the Chilean Ministry of Foreign Relations (Agustinas N° 1320, Santiago)

—Can I pay for a full semester?

Yes; please coordinate payment directly with the University Enrollment Office.

—Can I apply with a foreign Bachelor’s degree?

Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree granted from a foreign institution can apply as long as the respective degree program lasted at least 5 years, i.e., equivalent to the UC Bachelor of Sciences in Engineering.

—Do all of the required certificates need to be legalized?

Applicants who received their undergraduate degree in Chile must present notarized photocopies of their degree and academic transcripts. Foreign applicants should legalize their degree (with original seals) with the Chilean Consulate in their country of residence (see Question 18); academic transcripts should be notarized.

—What health insurance is available for foreign students?

The group health plan offered by the University largely covers basic needs if you get sick or have an accident. Foreign students must have some type of health insurance during their stay in Chile and throughout the duration of their degree program.

—How do I pay for the University health insurance?

Students who opt in to the University health plan pay the corresponding fees together with tuition payments. This charge is listed on the payment receipt as “Health Insurance.”

—Where can I live in Santiago?

For more information on the costs of living in Santiago, please visit the Guide for Foreign Students.

—How do I enroll in courses?

Applicants will receive instructions on the enrollment process and courses together with their acceptance letter.

—Are scholarships available?

To obtain information on scholarships, please visit UC Financial Aid

—Can I apply to a CONICYT scholarship if I am a foreigner?

Yes, but only for doctoral studies.

—How do I accredit my level of English proficiency?

This requirement can be fulfilled by presenting scores for an English proficiency test (e.g., TOEFL) or proof of having attended an English-speaking high school. Applicants who do not have such documentation must complete the Michigan Test and present their results.

—How long do I have to complete each program?

The duration and stages established for each graduate program are outline on each program page:

—What are the benefits of residency?

This is a scholarship provided by the University so that students who have completed all course credits in their graduate program can work on their thesis and maintain their status as an enrolled student without paying fees.

—Is the student or University responsible for proposing thesis topics?

Thesis topics are jointly proposed by the student and their supervisor. Graduate programs are based on continuous work between a supervising professor and the student in a defined area of specialization. This relationship necessarily requires a certain alignment of interests. As a consequence, not all qualified applicants are assured admission. We highly recommend interested applicants establish contact with a professor working in their research area prior to applying.


Graduate Program Regulations for the Engineering Sciences

Standards of Academic Integrity

Regulations for UC Master´s Students

Regulations for UC Master´s Programs

Transfer Credit Policies

Students can transfer credits obtained prior to entering a graduate program. Application for credit transfers must be submitted by the supervising professor during the first semester of program admission and will be reviewed by the Graduate Committee.

A maximum of 70 transfer credits will be accepted for graduate-level courses completed within the UC School of Engineering. For graduate-level courses completed within another faculty or at another university, a maximum of 40 transfer credits will be accepted for the Master’s program.

For transfer credits to be accepted, the respective courses must meet the following criteria:

  • Dictated by a professor with the same academic standing as a UC Program professor, as described in Section III of the Graduate Program Regulations for the Engineering Sciences.
  • Classified as graduate-level (for the UC School of Engineering, courses numbered 3000 and above).
  • Courses imparted by other faculties or universities cannot qualify as graduate-level if the content is equivalent to a course required for professional licensing.
  • Minimum passing grade of 5.0 (or equivalent) and must have been taken within the last 5 years. In cases where the course was taken more than 5 years ago, transfer credits may be applied if accepted by the corresponding department of the degree program. Credits from courses taken more than 10 years ago cannot be transferred.

The student’s supervising professor must also propose possible course equivalencies to the Graduate Committee, taking into consideration the prior points and, per each case, presenting the following:

  • Graduate courses within the UC School of Engineering. Notification of a student’s enrollment in a graduate program must be received before the start of the second semester and be reflected in the academic plan.
  • Graduate courses within other UC Faculties. The course syllabus and a certificate from the corresponding faculty, indicating that the course is graduate-level.
  • Graduate courses from other national or international universities. The supervising professor must propose possible course equivalencies together with the syllabus for the transfer course, the resume of the professor that dictated the course, and a certificate of the grade received. Equivalency proposals should only be made when the content of the transfer course(s) covers at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the content included in the proposed equivalent course. In cases where the material from various transfer courses is graduate-level, but does not meet the aforementioned criteria, credit transfers may be proposed for a group of graduate credits.

The Graduate Program will send all of the presented documents to the coordinating instructor for the proposed equivalent course. The supervising professor will be notified of decisions regarding transfer credits. Students may consider transfer credits within their degree program only if approved.

Related Links

Guide for Foreign Students (College of Doctorate Programs)

School of Engineering Departments

UC Office of Admissions